Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Who let the dogs out

Genessa and I have been struggling with what to do with our Lab Sam. He has recently increased his climbing skill from getting over chain link fences to climbing over our Privacy fence.

And when I say climb, I mean climb he walks up to the fence puts his front feet on one of the wood supports and then raises his back feet up and climbs the fence much like I would if I were trapped in the back yard.

When he climbs the fence, one of two things happen. He hangs out in the front yard waiting for us to come home or one of my kind neighbors puts him back in the back yard. I know that they must love doing this I know I would.

All that said I spent most of yesterday installing an underground electric fence. I figured that working with an electric fence and digging would be much funner in the rain so yesterday was perfect.

Sam will wear a coller that will beep when he starts approaching the wire and if he doesn't turn back he will get a small (whats a nice word for shock?) "correction".

I am still not finished with the fence, and once I am, we will still have a couple of weeks of traing to do in order to show Sam how the fence works. I hope he will catch on quick. He learned to climb the fence very fast so I bet not climbing the fence will be learned as quick.

Tim

2 comments:

Dotti said...

Hey, that sounds like a great idea. Can we get a fake beeper for my yard? Sam will learn quickly. He's smart!

Anonymous said...

It must be a black lab thing. Our dog we got when your Mom was three could not jump the fence but she climbed it anyway. She was putting one foot in the slot of a chain link and going on up that way. She was not full blooded so she was not NEARLY as big as Sam.
Well, she did jump it once in Memphis chasing a prowler.
Love you both. See you Sunday